The children will need to know:
- The names of feelings. E.g. Sad, Happy, Excited, Angry etc
- The names of the seasons
- The story of One Little Caterpillar By Maria Grujicic
- Have explored mixing colors.
- Have explored feelings and related them to the seasons, colors and shapes of the leaves.
- A container with the leaves the children collected on the nature walk.
- Pictures of children’s faces expressing different feelings for reference.
- Pictures of different seasons, related to the environment you live, showing change, for reference.
- The mural.
- The book, One Little Caterpillar By Maria Grujicic.
This is a fabulous way to help children think creatively and become more involved in the story telling and creating process.
- Share the leaves that the children collected from the nature walk.
- Ask the children to choose one special leaf.
- Ask the children why they like it.
- Tell the children that today we will be gluing the leaves on the tree of our mural!
- Show the children what to do, and how to glue each leaf on the tree.
- Point to the branches of the tree, and slide your hands along the shape they make, and say that the branches are like hands that care for the leaves and their many feelings.
- Point to the bark of the tree, and tell the children that this is like the skin that covers a person.
- The children can choose where to glue the leaves, and on which branch. Guide the children to gluing the leaves so they are spread out. That way the tree can look after them all.
- For number2, you may do this as a separate lesson a day before the project to give time for the children to absorb the idea of why the leaf is special.
- Number 3, the answers are open-ended and the question is designed to get to know the children better.
- Number 6 is a metaphor that the children will understand because they have connected their own feelings to the leaves.
- Don’t feel the need to label the leaves with words. The feelings attached to the leaves are not permanent. Just like people, feelings change, and give the message to the children that all feelings, like all colors are beautiful.
- For number 7, the comment will help the child connect human-like qualities, and develop a love for nature and all living things.
- Later children will learn to express their feelings appropriately.
- The children will learn that when they feel certain ways such as angry, sad, etc they are not ‘bad’, and they will develop better self-esteem. They will learn to help and care for each other’s emotions.
- Note down responses that children give, in anecdotal form. This will help get to know them, and develop a closer bond!
- These activities will encourage caring and friendship.
This activity is based on the story One Little Caterpillar, By Maria Grujicic
For the next step of this project, look at part five or take a look at the other parts! Follow the blog for regular updates.
Buy the book:
- A Free Audio Of Poems That Dance Inspired By Life, Love & Travel! (poemsthatdance.com)
- The Magical Origins Of One Little Caterpillar! (onelittlecaterpillar.wordpress.com)
- How I Use Fantasy & Imagination To Write (prefacme.com)
- Caterpillar, Caterpillar Munch! Munch! Munch! (onelittlecaterpillar.wordpress.com)
- Inspiration At The Opel Zoo (bilingualmontessori.wordpress.com)
- Free Audio For The Book, The Thorn And The Petal (poemsthatdance.com)
- A Petaled Poet (poemsthatdance.com)
- Poems That Dance (prefacme.com)
- Introducing Amazing Free Audios By Malena of Poems That Dance! (poemsthatdance.com)
- Colorful Stars And A Colorful Journey (musicdforcommunication.wordpress.com)
- The Dance That Walked Away (poemsthatdance.com)
- The Magical Origins Of My Songs (prefacme.com)
- Inspiration Unlimited & A Song For A New Day (prefacme.com)
- A New Year’s Intimate Song (musicdforcommunication.wordpress.com)
- Creative Art & A Walking Talking Story Part 9 (onelittlecaterpillar.wordpress.com)
- Creative Art & A Walking Talking Story Part 6 (onelittlecaterpillar.wordpress.com)
- Imaginative Art & A Walking Talking Story Part 4 (onelittlecaterpillar.wordpress.com)
- Imaginative Art & A Walking Talking Story Part 3 (onelittlecaterpillar.wordpress.com)
- Creative Art & A Walking Talking Story Part 5 (onelittlecaterpillar.wordpress.com)
- A Backdrop Of Ribbons (magicaplay.com)
- Imaginative Art & A Walking Talking Story Part 2 (onelittlecaterpillar.wordpress.com)
- Creative Art & A Walking Talking Story Part 8 (onelittlecaterpillar.wordpress.com)
- Creative Art & A Walking Talking Story Part 7 (onelittlecaterpillar.wordpress.com)
- Imaginative Art & A Walking Talking Story (onelittlecaterpillar.wordpress.com)
- Creative Art & Walking Talking Story Part 10 (onelittlecaterpillar.wordpress.com)